Great care has been taken in creating your jewellery. To protect it and keep it looking as good as you, we advise the following:
- Always remove jewellery when applying beauty products, such as perfume, make-up and hairspray.
- Don’t shower, soak or submerge your jewellery. Chlorinated water is very damaging as it causes reactions with the metals.
- Remove your jewellery when sleeping, cooking, cleaning or while doing any manual labour to prevent physical damage or exposure to household/ other chemicals. Rinse off any chemicals that may come into contact.
- Store your jewellery items ideally individually to stop them being scratched or tangled.
- Keep your jewellery in a dark, cool and dry place and do not expose it to long periods of sunlight or damp.
Cleaning your jewellery regularly will help it looking as good as new. Natural skin oils, dust and pollution in the atmosphere all conspire to dull (tarnish) the surface of precious metals and cloud gemstones. Silver, brass and copper all tarnish naturally over time. The amount of tarnishing (oxidation) that occurs is dependent on the skin and care habits of the wearer.
- Wash in a mild solution of soap and lukewarm water.
- Use a soft bristled brush to gently brush under settings and around stones.
- Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Dry using a soft, lint-free cloth that won’t leave fuzz or threads behind.
- Make sure your jewellery is completely dry afterwards to prevent staining and corrosion.
The best way to keep your silver jewellery looking great is to wear it as this stops oxidising with the air and tarnishing. Tarnishing is less likely to happen as quickly if you wear your jewellery regularly.